Thursday, June 25, 2009

THE IRONMAN TRIATHLON. WHEN WERE YOU IRONSTRUCK?

Most likely you will never forget the first time you decided you wanted to give the IRONMAN TRIATHLON a try. Somehow it moved you....somehow it called you to action. Instinctively you just know that however long it takes, you are going to cross the Ironman finish line one day. You might not know just yet what race or what date, you just know it's going to happen. You may may not be very fit at the moment. You may even smoke or be overweight. You maybe have never been very athletic your entire life. Hell! you can't even swim a single stroke and are TERRIFIED of the water! Still, you have heard the call. It's a call that chosen people have been hearing for just over 30 years when this amazing event was first devised. I say chosen because the challenge just hits some people like a ton of bricks and they can't let go. The are DRIVEN to reach the Ironman finish line.



It can be an exhilarating experience. I know. I've been there. Didn't know anything about racing bikes, couldn't swim a stroke, never swam in the open water, but saw the Ironman on T.V. and was hooked. The Iron Gods had me in their unshakeable grasp from that moment on.

Just over a year later I crossed the finish line in Ironman Hawaii in Kona in 1984.

I remember making the swim turn 1.2 miles out in Kona Harbor and wondering "what the Hell am I doing way out here?" It was so surreal, yet I knew I was about to change my life forever.

When I crossed the finish line some 14 hours after the start swim cannon went off, I was right...It did change my life forever. Fourteen Ironman races later, an Ironman website, and two Ironman books later, and it has all brought me here to you...

Here to inspire, motivate and guide you and give you a name for the incredible force that drives to be an Ironman.........You have been IRONSTRUCK, and have come to the right place. Stay tuned for how you too can have Ironman immortality.